Austria Weeklong Group Ski Trip January 26- February 3, 2024
Saalbach-Hinterglemm Austria Ski Resort
Trip Description (Jan 26 to Feb 03, 2024)
The Bytown Ski Club will return to Europe in 2024 with an eight-day ski/snowboard group package tour to Saalbach Austria, with Munich Germany as our gateway airport. Our trip is timed to capture the best snow conditions in the Alps while purposely avoiding any European holiday periods.
With Air Canada arrangements from Ottawa to Munich, the Saalbach-Hinterglemm area of Austria is a short private coach ride from the Munich Airport. Your hotel is located on the peripheral but walking distance to the village centre. However, we have private taxi vans to transport us daily both directions from the hotel to the three main lift stations. Your all-inclusive region ski pass provides you access to over 270 kilometres of slopes and 70 modern lifts including 29 gondolas. These factors should provide you with an unforgettable winter holiday in the mountains.
Your accommodation is at the well appointed “Hotel Altachhof”. We have tentatively reserved 15 two-person rooms and five single rooms for our group. Buffet breakfasts and four course dinners (with three choices each day) are included daily for our group and gives us the opportunity to plan our ski days together over breakfast and share our experiences together over dinner. All non-smoking rooms are equipped with bath/shower, cable TV, safe, hairdryer and free WIFI. The property has a sauna and relaxation room for guests, and we also have free-entry privileges at the Zell-am-See indoor pool. The hotel is unique in that the family owns one of the many mountain restaurants, the beautiful Westernstadl. Enjoy an end of day beverage or apple strudel at the Westernstadl, and then ski or board back to the hotel front door on a private ski run. As previous group travellers know, we try to choose the charm of family-owned inns and this Hotel Altachhof is no exception having been in the Eder family for several generations.
If you are a non-skier/boarder joining our group trip, or wish to take a day off the slopes, there are a plethora of local activities and sightseeing to keep you fully occupied. You could even take the train from nearby Zell am See to places such as Innsbruck, Kitzbuhel, Munich or Salzburg for the day. In addition to package price savings options that would exclude the ski pass, you may also have a discount for taking only the land package, if you already have an air points program. An important inclusion in your package is that you get air transport of both a suitcase and ski/boot bag transported each direction, at no additional cost.
|Jan 26, 2024||AC 459||Ottawa||TorontoT1||16:00||17:13|
|Jan 26, 2024||AC 836||TorontoT1||MunichT2||19:35||9:50+1|
|Feb 3, 2024||AC 837||MunichT2||TorontoT1||11:50||15:25|
|Feb 3, 2024||AC 464||TorontoT1||Ottawa||19:10||20:11|
+1 means that the flight arrives the next day.
- Round trip air from Ottawa – Munich Germany via Toronto with Air Canada.
- Private group return coach transfer between Munich Airport and Saalbach.
- 7-nights accommodation in Hotel Altachhof.
- Buffet breakfasts and four course dinners daily.
- 6-day ski pass.
- Ski pass RFID card.
- Trip leader accompaniment;
- September 6, 2023 trip information meeting.at Nepean Sail Club
- January pre-trip information meeting.
- Two pieces of checked luggage (suitcase & ski/boot bag) at no extra charge.
- All taxes, tourist tax, coach driver tips and service charges.
Cost does not include:
- Cost of lunches.
- Travel insurance.
- Passport valid for 6 months after date of departure.
- Any other items not specifically mentioned in the inclusions.
Cost per person (all-inclusive):
Cost per person:
|Based on double occupancy||$4,050.00|
|Based on single occupancy||$4,275.00|
|Based on triple occupancy||$TBD|
|Four-person suite with two bedrooms upon request||$TBD|
|Payment by VISA/Mastercard (+3%) double||$4171.50|
|Payment by VISA/Mastercard (+3%) single||$4403.25|
|Payment by VISA/Mastercard (+3%) three-person suite||$TBD|
|Land only, not including airfare, reduce package cost by||$1550|
|Optional all-inclusive insurance with MANULIFE covers up to $4,100 (rates are based on your age) prior to departure:|
|Up to age 59||$400.00|
|Age 60 – 64||$465.00|
|Age 65 – 69||$557.00|
|Age 70 – 74||$713.00|
|Age 75 – 79||$805.00|
|Age 80+||Will be quoted depending on age|
|Insurance costs are subject to change any time until booked|
For other age groups (or different coverage), please contact Touringhouse for a quotation, or call 613-741-2942:
Expenses related to COVID-19 will not be covered if the Government of Canada issues an “Avoid All Travel” advisory, recommending that Canadians not travel to a specific country, region or city on their date of departure.
All-insurance coverage covers the following (insurance brochures available on request):
- Trip cancellation (for covered reasons)
- Trip interruption
- Emergency hospital/medical
- Baggage loss/delay
- Flight and travel accident
Registration and Payment Information
- Reservations for the limited number of group package spots will be accepted on first-come basis starting 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday August 15, 2023 by phoning Touringhouse at 613-741-2942 and/or submitting an application to Touringhouse by mail, delivery or email attachment.
- There will be a trip information meeting, open to all, on Wednesday September 6, 2023, from 6:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m., at the Nepean Sailing Club, Harbourview Room, Andrew Haydon Park,3259 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, ON, K2H 1A6 (directions at bottom).
- The registration form can be downloaded here, and the credit card/insurance authorization form here.
- Initial deposits of $400, plus optional insurance must be made at time of application to guarantee your reservation, together with your application. If you are reserving your spot by phone call or email, your $400 application fee (and insurance payment if required) must be paid to Touringhouse within seven calendar days.
- Balance of payment is due with post-dated cheque dated November 15, 2023, or email transfer or credit card payment before November 15, 2023.
- Payments can be made by email transfer to email@example.com, by VISA or MASTERCARD or by cheques payable to Touringhouse and mailed, or dropped off at their office between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. at 876 Montreal Road, Suite 201, Ottawa, Ontario, K1K 4L3.
- Touringhouse will endeavour to pair single registrants into a two-person room, if possible and upon request. In event of a pairing option, you would be provided an opportunity to network with your potential roommate prior to finalization.
- If requiring travel insurance through Touringhouse with Manulife, it must be paid at time of initial deposit. See the trip application form.
- Please note that payments once made are fully non-refundable unless eligible for insurance refund, or the trip must be cancelled by Touringhouse and suppliers.
- While the group must depart together from Ottawa (or Toronto), individuals will be allowed to change their return date, provided requests are made in writing by October 31, 2023.
- The airlines allow only 20% of the passengers in the group to have a different return date than February 3 from Munich. For example, if only 20 passengers take the full package with air, only 4 persons will be able to deviate.
- Extensions are permitted for a maximum of 7 days after the group returns. Deviations are provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
- There will be a service charge of $100.00 per person to process individual deviations plus the applicable incremental airfare if the same class of service is not available on the return. Touringhouse cannot guarantee the same airfare for individuals returning on a different date.
- Transfers between the airport and the hotel are not included for passengers who are not travelling on the same flights as the group unless they make prior arrangements to join the group in advance of the Bytown coach departure from the airport or hotel. We cannot give a credit for transfers which are not used by passengers deviating.
- Altachhof Hotel, Saalbach altachhof.at/en
- Saalbach Ski Resort saalbach.com/en/winter
- Touringhouse Travel (613-741-2942) touringhouse.com
- Nepean Sailing Club directions https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nepean+Sailing+Clubfirstname.lastname@example.org,-75.8290772,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x4cce00f0e9d85e01:0xf76015cdc67bf714!8m2!3d45.3512038!4d-75.8265023!16zL20vMGZ0cjJz?entry=ttu
2023 Day trips
Details for all day trips, including pickup location and time. There must be at least 20 registered participants by the commit date in order for a trip to proceed. We will also be restricting the number of “bus only” participants to ensure that we have enough full participants to obtain the group ticket pricing. Masks are recommended on the bus, but not required at this point.
|Destination||Day||Date||Commit date||Price||Bus Only|
|Adult 18-69||Senior 70+||Youth 6–17||Student 18-25 with ID|
PD days are for elementary schools in both public and separate school boards.
We are planning on having one or more of these, but don’t currently have a schedule
Past week long trips
Mayrhofen Austria 2023
See the Mayrhofen page
Big White British Columbia 2022
See the Big White 2022 page
St. Anton-Arlberg 2020
See the 2020 Austria trip page for a summary of the trip to St. Anton–Arlberg, Austria.
Soll, Austria week-long trip 2019
See the 2019 Austria trip page for a summary of the trip to Soll, Austria in the Ski Welt region.
Saalbach, Austria week-long trip 2018
See the 2018 Austria trip page for a summary of the trip.